Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Confronting Scholarship

So I'm doing a "scholarly activity" this summer as part of fulfilling my requirements for medical school graduation. We are encouraged to pursue publication in whatever field we work in, but this seems to be a foolhardy venture to me. I'm working on an ethics paper and when I put my thoughts to screen they sound so sophmoric. I recall my mind working more freely in days of my undergraduate English literature courses, but now I think my medical education has put my creative powers in a straightjacket. How can I resolve this low flow of creative juices in the short 2 months I have to accomplish this project? Now I know why physicians of yesteryear wrote poetry and fiction in their spare moments- the ability to think creatively atrophies with the slightest bit of neglect.

No comments: