Tuesday, October 23, 2007


So here at UASOM we're doing this integrated curriculum where you are supposed to learn basic science and its clinical applications at the same time. Basically, what this means is that our classes are condensed into this summer school-like format that make things more interesting, but much more intense.

So yesterday we had this ethics session about Big Pharm (pharmaceutical companies making tons of money off selling brand-name drugs). There are some crazy things going on with which drugs and doctors. The stink is that supposedly Pharm reps are giving doctors all these gifts like free lunches, free trips to tropical locations to hear a plug for their product, and free samples, pens, pads, etc. and these gifts influence doctors to prescribe their medication and not the cheaper generic stuff. (By the way none of this is new, its been going on for a long time, but the marketing of drug companies is increasing drastically in recent years.) There are stats that, in essence, prove that this marketing strategy works too. So what's the solution for me? Should I not welcome drug reps for fear that I might start prescribing the more expensive medication to get a cruise compliments of Pfizer? Or should I take the cruise and not show up the meetings and stick it to 'em by taking their money and not listening to their spiel? Meg wouldn't go for that.

For me this raises bigger questions about the medical field like should it be a business or a service-oriented profession? I definitely think that helping people is a higher calling than making good money, but how do I parse out all the conflicting interests that will inevitably come my way like taking less pay to help needy people, providing for my (future and present) family, taking a seemingly harmless trip on the bill of a pharmaceutical company, etc.? Should patients simply trust that their doctor is looking out for their best interests? Probably not. There's a lot of greedy, dishonest people out there. It is interesting to me how many of our daily interactions, even something as serious as our health, still dependent on blind trust of other people. I guess this is reason for getting to know your doctor, pastor, mechanic better and for learning things on our own.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Austin- In my opinion you take the trips. A drug company should make all of its R&D money plus a good return prior to the patent running out and the generic being made available.

Jon David said...

Interesting stuff man. I've got a good friend who works for Pfizer, and she's an awesome Christian in the business sector. She's had a bunch of conversations with people about this topic, and I think y'all should talk.

Austin Dalgo said...

Tim, I see your point from the business side. And I agree that if they spend the money on the R&D they should make a good profit; that's just good downhome capitalism and I've got no problem with that. Also, I don't have a problem from their side of things with marketing, but for me as a physician should I be open to that? I think it would probably be more responsible of me to hear from or read independent sources on a new drug rather than hearing a presentation of their "scientific" paper on a cruise ship. This whole debate shows how politicized science can really be, suppressing and exaggerating results etc. Anyway, another thing too is that because of drug companies' marketing many docs don't know the names of cheaper generic drugs so they end up prescribing the more expensive stuff 'cause that's all they know about. So I guess the onus is on me to learn more. Anyway, maybe I'll take the trip and read opposing viewpoints poolside while I sip my pina coloda and get a tan, problem solved!

Austin Dalgo said...

JD, I'd be interested to hear from her. There was this girl in my class who worked for a drug company before med school and she got pretty fired up about our professor's slant on the situation. It got pretty tense in the class.

Unknown said...

I know our insurance requires the pharmacy to give us generics when available unless otherwise ordered by the dr.

I do agree though that you probably should have a health amount of skeptism when hearing a sales pitch, and do some research on your own.

Unknown said...

Hey Austin. Hope things are going well for you. Nice blog.

Austin said...

Tim, that's good to know that insurance companies do that. I guess when they save money, every once and a while we do too.