Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Back to the Grind (Sort of)

(A picture of me working hard! Actually, in this picture I'm in Peru blogging to you.)

So we've been back in the States for two days now and I started working again at my research/clincal job. It's not that I'm not grateful for my job or that I don't really like it at times but it's been difficult being back. The first problem is that I've got some sinus issues right now and I'm taking medicines that make me feel like a zombie all day at work. The ironic thing that being machine-like helps me get through the duldrums of research data-entry. Second, I finally broached the subject to my professor/mentor today about writing an article on the research that we are doing, but up until then it's been mostly aimless reading about nutrition and odd-jobs that I readily accept from co-workers to help fill my time. Hopefully I can find some mind-stimulating work as the summer winds down. I'm still committed to trying to get my first published article out of this.

Alas, I only have 2 1/2 more days until I have another entire week off. It's not really that hard being me. The last paragraph I built up pity for myself and now I show that I'm nothing but a softie. See, Meg and I are going to Celeste's wedding in Rome, GA and then we're going to go visit the famous, revered, and all too humble Dr. Ethelyn Smith from Senetobia, MS. I can't wait, I hope to get tons more doctorin' and small town stories out of her. Ethelyn was a physician in Senatobia for about 60 years and she cannot drive half a mile in her car without waving to someone or telling us a story about the town she knows everything about. I wish I had the same sense of belonging and home that she does. She's so thoughtful that she kicked her favorite cat out of the house two months ago and bought a HEPA filter because she knew we were coming to visit this summer and that my allergies were bad last time we stayed.

Anyway, I'll give some more ideas on Peru once I have the chance to decompress my sinuses and have clear thoughts. Also, I'm meeting with Carlos Torres-Sanchez tomorrow from the Jefferson County Health Department to see how I can get involved with the Latino health here in Birmingham. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to raise awareness at school, learn Spanish better, and be an advocate for some folks who don't have much social support.

No comments: