Wednesday, July 2, 2008

San Jeronimo

(image from ih3.ggpth.com of where we landed in Cusco today)

Good evening everyone! I'm sitting in San Jeronimo, Cusco, Peru (city, district, country). Meg and I landed in this mountainous area at about 11am this morning after about 20 hours in 4 airports and 3 airplanes. We got about 5-6 hours of sleep last night and I have a feeling that we are going to sleep well tonight, although last night wasn't altogether terrible thanks to the neck pillows, acetazolamide, and our 2 hour nap in Lima. It's about 6:15 pm right now (Central time here too) and it is pretty much completely dark. You see, not only is it winter down here but it's also surrounded by mountains so the sun goes to bed a little bit earlier than it does over the Gulf of Mexico. Like Dad and I found out a few nights ago, the temperature swings about 40 degrees Fahrenheit each day from about 70 in the day to 30 at night. Pretty chilly for an apartment without any heat. Well, today has been really good: we ate a siesta lunch with the Allens (the missionary family) and played with their three daughters who are very cute and smart. After that Meg hung out with Jeanine Allen and her girls while Will and I meandered on the streets of St. Jeronimo. I got some some good pictures in the town today I'll try to post them soon as long as I can figure out how to sync our new camera with the old Mac. Well, that's about all I've got for now so we'll try send updates as often as possible.

Spanish word of the day: la oveja- the sheep. The word was used in reference to, Jenny you'll enjoy this, the woman that the Allens know who is tandem breastfeeding her infant child and, yes, her one of her infant sheep. To put any worries to rest this is not a normal practice so don't think all Peruvians are like this, but we thought that this was a great story to start the trip off with. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to keep everyone one going even if it means trans-species nursing.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Wow, the lamb story tops Jenny any day! :)

Glad y'all made it safely and I look forward to reading your updates!