Friday, July 11, 2008

Leshmaniasis

(picture of the clinic and the grassy waiting room)

Yesterday I saw my second case of cutaneous Leshmaniasis. The young lady's disease that I saw yesterday was much more progressed than the first case. Her nose was pointed at the end like a witch's from the destruction of her skin by the protozoan parasite. She had a scar from a previous ulcer that had manifested about 20 years ago. This type of dormancy is characteristic of leshmaniasis. The woman was Quechua and didn't know any Spanish so there were three languages being translated in one 4x11 foot room. (Quechua is viewed in Peru as a poor person's language and was the language once spoken by the Incans.) In fact, this lady is a really good example of how La Fuente (Dr. Allen's clinic) is trying to serve and bring wellness back to the whole person, not just the biological part. So last night the nurses took her home with them and gave her food and shelter, but we're looking for a temporary home for her here in San Jeronimo while she receives treatment. She lives 5 1/2 hours away-- a four hour walk to the closest bus stop and a 1 1/2 hour ride into town. So there is obviously no way she can get the medications and attention she needs at home. So the mission of the clinic is to give a social, spiritual, physical, and emotional support to those who are the poorest and this poor lady really embodies that need. So remember to pray for this young woman and the clinic who is going to be receiving more patients like her who have no hope, save the kindness of other people and the grace of God.

Spanish word of the day: La Fuente which means "the fountain". This is the name of the clinic that I've been working at and I think it's appropriate because it is a small, beautiful thing that gives refreshment to those who come it.

1 comment:

Ann Dalgo said...

I think I finally figured out this blog thing. I have been tring to write to you for days. So excited to see your blogs each day. I loved the picture of you and the Allen's baby. I miss you both but it sounds like you are having the experience of a lifetime. Can't wait to talk in person. I love the Spanish word of the day. I am enjoying my visit with my family.
Love you,
Mom